Friday, August 8, 2008

Recycling in Fort Lincoln

Years ago, before I started high school (I’m starting to feel old), Fort Lincoln experimented with the idea of recycling throughout the neighborhood. Residents collected their bottles, cans, and paper goods and sat them outside with their trash to be recycled. I guess we were green before there was such a thing. That experiment ended quickly and abruptly from what I remember. My parents gave me the impression that recycling cost too much money, so the decision was made to discontinue the service.

Recently, environmental issues have been given more attention. I think that now is an excellent time to reconsider a recycling program for Fort Lincoln. Recycling reduces waste, saves money on manufacturing cost, and preserves resources. Although it is cliche, every little bit helps. Fort Lincoln could definitely do its part.

The city removes both trash and recyclables. Because the city does not remove our trash, I doubt they would be willing to remove our recyclables. As I understand it, we have a contract with Goode Trash Removal. This company not only removes trash, but removes recyclables as well (check out their website: www.goodetrash.com). It may be best to ask them if they would be willing to also remove our recyclables. This will probably require amending whatever agreement they have with Fort Lincoln and may require paying the company more money. But, I think it would be best to work with a company that we are already doing business with.

While that sounds like a good plan to me, I’m sure that any recycling program will take some time to implement. There are other options for recycling in the time being. I’ll post those as soon as I do a little more research on it.

No comments: